Friday, April 11, 2014

I am the law

After lots of tech talk, it's time to switch gears and get into costuming a bit again.

I've been working on one big project since January 2013: Judge Dredd, from the 2012 movie. Here is the work in progress:



As I close in on completion, I wanted to record all of the parts of the suit and their origins. This is both so that I don't forget, and so that when people ask I can point them to this page :)

Starting from the top:
  • Helmet: My own sculpt. I started with a freely available Pepakura template, molded that, did a casting, cleaned it up / refined it, made another mold and another casting. See Pepakura helmet build and dredd helmet casting threads on the RPF. 
  • Collar / Neck roll: My own creation. See RI Mod thread on the RPF
  • Jacket and vest: Reel Images Leatherwear 
  • Armor: Studio Creations
  • Badge: Cold cast brass with swappable name plates (SC)
  • Elbow pads: Cast rubber, my own sculpt.
  • Gloves: Leathernext Version 4.
  • Belt: Buckle is cast from screen used, leather provided with it. (JB)
  • Belt pouches: Leather, made by me.
  • Belt accessories:
    • Knife: Boker Armed Forces Tanto II as used in the movie
    • Flash bangs: 1.75" wooden balls painted green
    • Smoke grenate: My own sculpt.
    • Mag holders: Styrene from my own molds
    • Magazines: rubber castings from Glock mags (dsheerin)
    • Zip cuffs: rubber, my own sculpts
    • Holster: Styrene base (my sculpt) wrapped in leather, with accurate AustriAlpin Cobra buckles
  • Lawgiver: Fan made replica (joatrash/morganthirteen
  • Pants: Reel Images Leatherwear
  • Knee pads: Cast rubber, my own sculpt
  • Boots: TBD. Replicas have been ordered but are 6+ months overdue.
  • Boot Armor: TBD. They have to fit the boots, so I can't do much. I'll be sculpting/molding/casting them myself. 

One of the first things everyone always asks is cost. I haven't kept careful tabs, but it's in the neighborhood of $1500 - $2000.

The hopeful debut of for our sector house is Free Comic Book Day. Want to see us in person? Visit Double Midnight Comics in Manchester, NH on May 3rd 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment